Tuesday, April 01, 2014

NaPoWriMo 2014 One: Romance

Romance seems to have left me for reality
Took the last train to Clarksville
leaving me at the station

I listen for her in the song of the morning birds
the mourning doves cooing their wistful longings
the mockingbird trying every song in his repertoire
to woo his loved one to his wing
the rooster waking me before dawn
causing me to stretch and yawn
little ones twittering and tweeting
making love to the spring buds on trees
dancing between their leaves

I no longer know what song to sing
to bring a beloved near
all the 'unrequited love' songs seems so bland
the 'i-love-you-so' songs so trite
the 'she done me wrong and is gone' songs
not quite right
after these many years of solitude

So I listen
to the birds sing
to the wind blow
to the ocean tumble and roar
and maybe eventually
romance will return
to my heart's shore

No comments: